This course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations, and provide early use of an AED. It includes adult, child, and infant rescue techniques. The BLS course includes realistic scenarios and simulations, and incorporates Heart and Stroke Foundation’s proven Practice-While-Watching video format to bring the science of the Guidelines to the front line practitioner.
This course is designed for healthcare providers and trained first responders who provide care to patients in a wide variety of settings, or by those that require BLS certification and CPR training to enter into a healthcare-related training program.
Course Overview and Design:
The BLS Course focuses on what rescuers need to know to perform high-quality CPR in a wide variety of settings. Course contents and outcomes include:
- Importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Steps of the Chain of Survival and applying the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Importance of early defibrillation and use of an AED
- Use of a barrier device to provide effective ventilations
- Importance of teams in multi-rescuer resuscitation and performing as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) in adults, children and infants
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a BLS for Healthcare Provider (C) course completion card.
BLS Provider Courses
BLS for Healthcare Provider (C)
The BLS for Healthcare Provider (C) course skills taught are 1- and 2-rescuer adult, child and infant cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), choking, automated external defibrillator (AED) training and the use of bag valve mask (BVM). The course is designed for healthcare providers who need a credentialed course and is also open to first responders who have a duty to respond to a cardiac emergency because of job responsibilities or regulatory requirements.
Mandated Student Materials:
- HSF BLS for Healthcare Provider student manual